Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The First Day.

I arrived in Singapore at 11:30 on Sunday night and didn't make it to the hotel until until about 1 in the morning... So, I've decided I am going to consider this the beginning of my first day.

I awoke at 6:30 am to the ring of the wake up call, the alarm, my phone and my conscience that I had all set just in case 2 or 3 of those decided not to work. I ironed a set of clothes and splashed some water on my face as the toiletries out of my luggage mysteriously disappeared somewhere throughout the trip. I grabbed a complimentary breakfast and was out the door to meet Yamagata-san promptly at 8 for a ride to the office. I arrived at the office and was introduced to the 20 or so employees and was confused on how to answer the, "What shall I call you?" question asked over and over again.

I spent the majority of the morning setting up all of my system passwords and making sure that my laptop and docking station were all in working order. We walked over to the Hawker center at lunchtime right across the street from the office. There were about 6 of us in the sea of hundreds of people flooding the street. the Hawker center is a very large open-air food court with probably 50-70 vendors with a line of 3-4 customers in each. I had a plate of Indonesian Chicken Curry and rice that cost about S$4.00. We took about 20 mins to eat and then had a Green Tea drink for dessert.

I was picked up by my "Property Consultant" at 1:15 to view housing that is both available and fit in the price range stipulated by the company. Berna, a young Filipino woman probably just a couple of years past my age, walked up to me standing on the corner. She said that she had chartered a car to take us around for the day. The car was a white Mercedes that a decal on the side reading "Limo Services". Berna and I got in the backseat where I had legroom for days with bottled water and reading material provided. In the front was Berna's assistant Johnny and her trusted driver "Jack" (Jack's real name displayed on the dash read 15 letters long with about 3 consonants). Our last viewing was at 5:30... we had seen 9 properties in a little over 4 hours and I was exhausted. The overwhelming theme was that almost all of the properties were very nice, but that I had to chose whether the apartment itself or the complex's facilities were most important to me. Some had pools the size of 2 football fields with waterfalls, jacuzzi, tennis courts and a workout facility all at your fingertips. The apartments there (although nice) were small, plain and left a lot to be desired. Other apartments were top-of-the-line everything with views and stylish furnishings and these had almost no facilities. What is most important to me...?

Berna dropped me off back at my hotel where I had enough time to take a quick shower and rush back to the office for Dinner! I was asked to meet there at 6:30 (the normal time everyone gets off of work) so that 6 of us could go out to dinner. Gan, Ong, Yamagata-san, Takeuchi-san, Yamoto and I went to a whole-in-the-wall Chinese place. The food was being served out of a walk up bar with a couple of tables and chairs right on the street, but there was a restaurant next door that had inside seating. The menu consisted of 2 bottles of wine (brought from the liquor cabinet back in the office!), hot tea, noodles, some sort of greenery dish, pork ribs, chili crab, frog legs, a grouper fish from head to tail, tofu and deer meat... and it was good! We ate it all from 6 inch plates that each of us had in front of us just serving ourselves 3 or 4 bites at a time. The conversation ranged from my education and travels to my involvement in sports to the inadequacy of the U.S. Men's Olympic Basketball team to the lack of discipline in today's Japanese educational system.

We wrapped up dinner by 9:30 and I had made it back to my hotel by 10. I barely made it to my bed before I passed out. It had been a good day, but a long day and I was happy that it was over.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

My Dogg! You know - I miss you dearly...anytime I'm deciding what to do for the evening I want to invite you. But I always decide not to because I'm fairly confident you won't be in attendance...even if you wanted to.

It sounds like you're going to be treated like a king during your stay over there. Don't get soft on me, dude. I need Mike to be the same awesome Mike next time I see you. I'm going to start saving up now for a plane ticket. So, maybe in about 15 months I will be able to come see you. Keep the inflatable mattress handy.

I'll keep thinking of you and praying for you. I'm pumped you're writing a blog. I'll be reading regularly.

xoxo,

Lee

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th of July from Atlanta Mike!! We are going to be reading your blog and keeping up with your adventures back here in the States. Rachel is back in NYC after her semester abroad, and I am sure she'll be tracking your experiences too. Take care of yourself -- and enjoy!

Love --
Kathy

Mikey B. said...

Mike - I'm glad you made it safely and can't wait to hear more about your time in Singapore. I'll make sure Jen knows you have a blog so she can add you to her blog-stalking list.

Jen said...

Mike,

You are now added to my blog stalking list! Good luck! We will be praying for you. Hopefully Mike and I will be able to visit you while you are there. Sounds like a great adventure!

Booker said...

Glad you're safe. Get some rest. We love you and look forward to reading all about your adventures.

Love,
NOVA Bookers (Matt, Alison, Joel and Owen)

Anonymous said...

i hope you love it out there! sounds very exciting!

Anonymous said...

Mike,
We love you. Hope things are going well and that you get your apartment soon.
Love,
Mom and Dad

Unknown said...

Hey there, Alison told me about your blog, so I had to check it out! Miss you.

~Lea Ann

Unknown said...

Mike,

Aiiiiir, well it is safe to say things are not the same without you here. I hope that everything there is going well. Let me know about the apartment hunt. If I were you I'd go for the bigger the better, I'm just throwing it out there. Hope you are doing well and we'll talk soon

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're doing a blog! The first entry was fun to read made me jealous of your new adventure! You are missed here. It's almost like you're just on vacation and you'll be back soon, but then I remember that you LIVE there and it makes me very sad. But don't worry, I'm saving to come visit you ... maybe in the spring ...

-Julie

Tiffany74 said...

Mikey,

I miss you already! I wish I was there to experience all that with you. I can't wait to hear all of your stories. Love you much...

BFF,
Tiffany :o)